What is Colloidal Silver?
Colloidal Silver is pure, metallic silver (the element), in particles of 15 atoms or fewer, each with a positive electric charge and attached to a molecule of a simple protein. These electrically charged particles of silver are extremely small, usually ranging from about 0.001 to about 0.01 microns in diameter, and are suspended in deionised water. The force of the electric charge is stronger than the force of gravity, so the silver particles remain suspended.
In a nutshell how is Colloidal Silver made?
You simply pass a small electric current through distilled water using a pure silver electrode (you can use coins). That is essentially all there is to it. Contrary to popular belief, distilled water will conduct a small amount of electricity, allowing production of micro particulate colloidal silver.
What does it have to do with cannabis?
We use Colloidal Silver (CS) for making FEMINISED SEEDS, which I'm a big fan of after having nothing but great success from them since I started growing a few years ago (The basic idea being you regularly spray CS on a female to force it to create bananas IE. pollen... You then use that pollen to fertilize another female (or even itself), and the resulting seeds are feminised due to the pollen coming from a female instead of a male)
Also, there are some other substances that can be used to force male parts on female plants, including STS (silver Thiosulphate, which is silver nitrate + sodium Thiosulphate) and GA (Gibberillic Acid), but CS is non-toxic, easy, safe and inexpensive to make at home, doesn't require a DEA request form, and isn't a controlled substance.
Colloidal silver is available from your local chemist (in low parts-per-million though), and is drank for good health (the silver helps kill bacteria etc). But its PPM is too low for what we intend to use it for - feminised seeds! So we need to make our own with a higher PPM ... no problems, we simply allow the electrical current to flow through the silver for a longer duration
TO MAKE A COLLOIDAL SILVER GENERATOR
You will need: a 9V power adapter that outputs DC, two alligator clips, a soldering iron + solder. (If you don’t have soldering iron you can simply wrap the wire around the alligator clip base in a coil and that will suffice, but you’ll get better contact if you solder it).
- Get a power adapter that has an output of 9V DC 600mA or thereabouts. Output must be DC, and 9V/600mA seems optimal from what I've read and been told
- Cut the end off and discard
- Split the main wire into its two smaller sub-wires (no need to pull them apart all the way though). Don’t worry, we don’t need to know which is positive/negative.
- Use wire-cutters to remove the plastic shielding/insulation to expose the actual metal wires, about 1 inch is enough
- Solder the wires onto alligator clips ($0.50ea from your local electronics store)
If you don’t have alligator clips Haps suggested a good alternative - drill a hole into each coin and coil the wire around that instead.
TO MAKE COLLOIDAL SILVER
- Get some distilled water. Do not use any other type of water due to impurities. At your supermarket you may find distilled water next to spring water, but it may also be in the ironing products isle as it is commonly used for steam irons.
- Attach each alligator clip to a chunk of PURE 999 or 9999 SILVER (I just got two 1oz coins from the local Mint, approx US$20ea, but 1/2oz coins would’ve been suffice - I didn’t realise how big 1oz of silver was!)
- Make sure each coin is half-dunked in the water, but that the alligator clips themselves aren’t touching the water, then turn on your generator and leave it for about 7 hours.
The end result: the electrolysis causes microscopic silver particles to be suspended in the water (= colloidal silver aka CS). The rig basically looks like this when in use (the only thing in contact with the water is the silver, not the alligator clips or anything else):
It's also recommended you use an air pump with a clean (not used for anything else) air stone to help keep the water moving.
Also you don't want to leave the CS generator running TOO long or the silver particles in the water start getting too large. 8 hours should be plenty.
USING COLLOIDAL SILVER TO MAKE FEMINISED SEEDS
Start spraying your target plant with CS just before you send it into 12/12 flowering, and keep spraying every few days. I won't go into details, but the CS causes the female to produce male flowers/pollen. Collect that pollen, and use it to pollinate another female (you can pollinate the same female that you CS'd. And indeed you may have to if you have a clone-only strain, although that may lead to more hermaphroditic traits, but I wont go into details on that). Anyway, because you've pollinated a plant with pollen from a female, the pollen can only create female seeds.
ps. I don't recommend drinking home-made CS unless you've done your homework because the PPM may be too high, which is great for making feminised seeds (we need a higher PPM for that) but may have risks with human consumption - too much silver can cause Argyria, a condition of blue or gray discoloration of the skin, so always buy it from your chemist if you intend to use it medicinally. Also if you do drink it medicinally it's recommended you also take additional Probiotics (like Yakult), because the silver also kills a lot of the good bacteria inside you. So do your homework first!
Colloidal Silver & Cannabis
- Hits: 5729
What is Colloidal Silver?